Sunday, November 2, 2008

making faces


lm
Originally uploaded by damned_cat
If I won a magical ticket to spend an hour with anyone in the world, living or dead, I'd resurrect Kevyn Aucoin and ask him to teach me a few tricks. Did that sound as sacrilegious as I think it did?

I've had my makeup professionally done a number of times by a number of different people, and I've only truly loved it twice. I always more or less like it, just because it is so fun to wear a different face, but as far as really loving the work, only twice. Once was for a photo shoot back in 2000 and once was last weekend, for P's wedding. The first time I ever had it done was for a project photo shoot, and I looked too different - hideously different. The makeup artist who did my face for the photo shoot I loved, moved away shortly after I met her. The one who did me for P's wedding is also my makeup artist for mine. (She was part of my wedding gift to P. Hehe.)

$95 is what I think my current favorite makeup artist said it would cost for a 1.5-hour lesson on makeup application. I'm considering this because I am the girl who can apply half the eyeshadow in the pan and still look bare-faced in photos. Case in point, the above photo. I went out with a beautiful gold Laura Mercier shadow on Halloween. I applied liberally and with (careful) enthusiasm. In the mirror, nice. In photos, nothing.

About the photo thing, I know self-portraiture is probably not very rock n' roll but it's just so git-danged fun, and I would like the photographs I take of my swiftly passing youth to include some documentation of my person. Since S. does not take pictures, period, I take pictures of us, which means taking pictures of myself sometimes. Except for Halloween, this isn't the reason I want my CFMA to teach me how to put on a face. I would like to be able to do it myself for parties, for photo shoots, for ops like the New Orleans one I am still crossing my fingers for, and for good old fashioned girly fun. I am not a model, and no one ever taught me anything; I get by with Leslie Blodgett tutorials and youtube videos, and it would be painfully obvious that I need real instruction, except nothing I applied myself even shows up on camera. So.

Just some thoughts. All the makeup I did not buy on today's excursion to the mall is haunting me.

No comments: