Monday, May 19, 2008

toys

Meet my new wellies. These are much cooler than the daisies (though I have to admit, these will be even tougher than the daisies to pull off).

How else am I doing my part to keep America out of recession? By replacing irreplaceable goods with the next-best thing. I did one last sweep of the classroom for my camera this afternoon - I just could not believe it hadn't been returned to me; anyone with eyes could review the photos and would know it was mine. Therefore, I rationalized for days upon days (sparking a near-week-long Denial period) that it must be somewhere in the classroom or somewhere in my apartment. Although I could clearly see in my memory where in the grass I had set it down last Tuesday, I continued to overturn the same stones - day after day after day.

Finally, today, I realized something: I can't go on much longer without a camera. I have to have one. In order to get a new one, I have to accept that my old one is gone forever. Whoever has it is going to keep it - and probably erase every one of the memories on it without regard for its deep significance. So I got home, and before even dropping my bag on the floor, I sat down and logged onto Amazon.com. After MUCH frustration trying to order an upgraded version of my Cybershot from Electronic Express (which for some reason had a shipping rate of $90 for a 2-lb parcel and then informed me they didn't ship to Hawaii at all), I figured out (duh) that all I had to do was not order from a storefront and just order straight from Amazon.

So, my camera (along with its jolly little carrying case - oh! and my wellies, and two paperbacks) should be arriving well in time to document graduation. After this pain and heartbreak I'm not letting my camera out of my sight ever again. OK, maybe I won't bring it into the shower with me but that's the extent of the distance I'll allow between me and my baby.

No comments: