Wednesday, June 25, 2008

curiouser and curiouser

I have to continue to blog about the website/concept that is Bag Borrow or Steal. I tried to keep my squeals to a minimum when talking to Mart, but I guess I did a pretty poor job because S pounced the minute I got off the phone.

"What's up?"

"Oh. Um. Matthew got me a Bag Borrow or Steal Membership for my birthday." [My best This is Great News! smile, with added sunshine for good measure.]

"Bag Borrow or Steal ... what's that?"

[Explain mind-boggling concept; toss in a few extreme examples.]

My fiance actually got up from his video game and sat down across me at the table to ask, "Okay, how much is this going to cost us, monthly?"

[Blink, blink.]

"Well, I won't be spending your money."

"I know, but -"

"Or wedding money."

"Because we have to -"

"Save money. Looky, I've got a $9 Juicy en route right now, and that is courtesy of my brother as part of my birthday package. It's not a crocodile Birkin. It's not even a Louis" [because there is currently a wait for every LV item on BBOS. I blame it on Sex & The City.] "... so relax."

"NINE DOLLARS A WEEK?!" [Commence with the head-shaking.] "I don't understand this ... thing. Must be a girl thing."

"As sitting motionless for hours upon end in front of one of a plethora of $65 video games that promotes gratuitous violence on a $400 console may just be a guy thing. But hey, I can dig that. So."

And that was the end of our conversation about BBOS. I don't have uncontrollable spending issues (in fact, I'm pretty damn good with money, as I carried the entire mortgage and all bills - and remained in cute shoes - for the first year and a half of our relationship because I didn't want to part with even a modicum of ownership) so I know it's not my spending that's of concern here. Purses simply strike fear into the hearts of men. Even the cheap ones can look expensive. And who wouldn't fear the structure BBOS runs on?

It is definitely not for the faint of wallet. Contrary to what was suggested by SATC's Louise from St. Louis BBOS is not for those who can't afford to buy the latest Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Gucci, Tod's, etc. BBOS is for those who have so much money that they can afford not only to purchase any bag that tickles their fancy, but to shell out way more on a weekly or monthly basis for the sheer kicks of novelty. Think about it - it costs $94/wk to rent a Chloe lambskin tote <-- totally gorgeous. Click! $94 is a huge chunk of change to spend for the pleasure of spending seven days with a (politically incorrect) bag, even one as beautiful as the Chloe.

So. I am enthralled that I have access for 365 days to member rental prices at this crazy, ultra-hedonistic, bizarre bazaar of beautiful bags. I have a fiscally responsible head on my shoulders, so I'm not worried about myself, but I am so curious: Who are these people who have checked every last Louis Vuitton purse out of the handbag library? Who are the women who will pay $27/wk to rent a pair of Dolce sunglasses, or $31 for a Fendi acrylic bracelet? These are obviously women with serious money (or serious issues). Maybe it's the new, wearable Vogue:


"When I first moved to New York and I was totally broke, sometimes I would buy Vogue instead of dinner. I just felt it fed me more." - Carrie

Well, this blogger (Carrie-centric as she is) would never sacrifice dinner for fashion, but it certainly won't hurt to pool what I'm saving by not drinking soda or eating fast food and putting my nickels and dimes in fantastically cute purses, one week at a time. I can ooh and aah over a thousand-Simolean Louis, but I love me a $9 Juicy and I can't wait to blog my first Borrow.

In the meantime, laugh at the Louis Vuitton for the discerning '90s rapper-slash-redneck. In the words of Jack Effin' Twist: Woo WEE!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your Burday present!! Your hunny bunns stilly.

CPNZX said...

Ew, it's like I called myself "Hunny Bunns Stilly" when what I meant was "your Hunny Buns is stilly". WTH

damned_cat said...

he is. however he's just making sure my affinity for all things cute does not drive us to the poorhouse. just like it's my job to make sure the xbox doesn't drive us to divorce court. eheh.

Anonymous said...

i'd be all for something like this. all the more reason to never ever have to buy her a bag.

Anonymous said...

I adore your logic. I'm dying to join that website, but must first pay for the recent Best Buy and Target purchases. Not to mention...eh, yeah, utilities.

Anonymous said...

The next time S says anything about BBOS, ask him if he'd rather you return the purse and BUY it instead. I'm sure nine dollars a week for 52 weeks is $468. You could buy the Juicy bag and have enough leftover to buy him a video game!

CPNZX said...

Buy me my video game then!

-S
----------------------------
The next time S says anything about BBOS, ask him if he'd rather you return the purse and BUY it instead. I'm sure nine dollars a week for 52 weeks is $468. You could buy the Juicy bag and have enough leftover to buy him a video game!

Unknown said...

dude! ok... we so need to catch up... seems lie both our lives have changed a lot since we last hung out .p

as for Wilma and I.. we end up buying stuff for each other a lot. she got me a steering wheel, i got her some Henkel Knives... i took her to Maui, she got me a new Lens. it seems to be working so far.

damned_cat said...

aar - right?? and in turn, she'll never have to pretend she likes a bag you bought her!

v - how's real life treating you? i am living proof that you can have your electricity and play with handbags, too.

babe - you said to stop buying books, so here's a compromise. i can't borrow books, but instead of buying bags, i shall borrow those. :)

z - how'd you steer your car before your lovely lady came along? jk. yeah, we gotta catch up!

Unknown said...

hehe sorry wasn't clear.. it was a video game steering wheel... but i think it cost more than a real one .p
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/playstation_3/devices/131&cl=us,en

send me your number or something

tote bags said...

Casual bag are not just meant to carry goods but do add great style statement for the bearer.